This article is about the various glazing options Queensberry offer. Follow the links for more about the other options — size, style, paper and printing.
By "glazing" we mean the glass or other material that covers the photo or artwork and protects it from handling, dirt and UV light.
As well as the default options we offer three upgrades. However, depending on the size of the frame and where you’re located, not all may be available in your case:
The default options
- Within New Zealand, by default we supply all frames up to and including A1 size (33.1 x 23.4in) behind standard Framers' Glass.
- As they’re more liable to damage in transit, we offer Standard Acrylic in sizes larger than A1.
- For the same reason we only offer Acrylic on frames shipped outside New Zealand.
- Conservation Clear Glass (up to A1)
- UV70 Glass (up to A1), or
- UV Acrylic (all sizes).
Advantages and disadvantages
Glass has been used to protect photographic images for many years. The advantage of Conservation Clear over standard Framers' Glass is that it offers 99% UV protection of the image.
We also offer UV70 glass. The features of UV70 are that it:
- Virtually eliminates reflections
- Filters up to 70% of UV rays
- Water White substrate provides crystal clear colour transmission
- Light transmission brighten colours and contrast levels
- Enhanced surface for better durability and easy cleaning
- Proprietary coating is engineered for permanence.
Acrylic is lightweight, resistant to breakage (important in high traffic areas), and offers high optical clarity. The UV Acrylic option offers 99% UV protection. Acrylic is softer than glass, may carry a static charge that attracts dust, and is more easily scratched.
- We recommend that framed images, however they’re glazed, never be displayed in direct sunlight.
- Visually, there is little discernible difference between glass and acrylic.
- How to care for acrylic and glass glazing.
- Canvas prints can be supplied unglazed in a standard frame, with a protective UV lacquer finish.
- Silver Halide prints can be supplied unglazed, with a protective UV laminate.